I am currently in the middle of a fairly lengthy holiday journey across the country to visit with family, so my usual round-up of my year in reading is late and will be quick. But I want to crunch all the numbers as usual, so here we go!
- Books read: 85.
- Audiobooks: 6. I focused more on podcasts than audiobooks this year, which has been great, as I love podcasts … but I love audiobooks too. I wrote about this dilemma here.
- eBooks: 23. This is almost twice last year’s number. I read many more e-galleys from Edelweiss this year, which explains the change.
- From library: 9.
- Fiction: 40. This is way down from last year! Last year my reading was 68% fiction, and this year it’s 47%. This change reflects my love of essays and memoirs and my desire to read and write about more of them. I’ll never stop reading novels, though.
- Nonfiction: 42. Last year my nonfiction reading was 30%; this year it’s 47%.
- Poetry: 3. One of these had some essays in it too, so I’m counting it in nonfiction as well.
- Plays: 1.
- Essay collections: 11. Five more than last year.
- Biography/autobiography: 25. 12 more than last year.
- Mysteries: 7
- Graphic Novels: 1
- Books in translation: 7. This is down by two from last year, which I’m not happy about.
- Books by writers of color: 30. This is the same number as last year, but a slightly higher percentage.
- Women: 62
- Men: 21
- Collections with men and women: 2
- Americans: 57
- British: 12
- French: 2
- Canadian: 2
- Indian: 2
- Nigerian: 2
- One each by authors from Algeria, Australia, Chile, Ireland, Mexico, Malaysia, Sudan, and the Democratic Republic of the Congo.
Year of publication:
- 19th century: 2
- First half of 20th century: 3
- Second half of 20th century: 4
- 2000-2009: 4
- 2010-2016: 72
I’ll be back before too long with a list of my favorite books of the year. I hope your 2017 has started of well!
6 responses to “2016 in Reading: Part 1”
Happy New Year! I hope you’ve been enjoying the holiday season. Really enjoyed reading your reading stats and I also liked how you broke down the nationalities of the writers. Wishing you a great reading year ahead!
Good reading! Looking forward to hearing about your favorites. Safe travels and happy New Year!
Way to go on the nonfiction. I would like to read more nonfiction (not just memoir) this year. I always enjoy reading a good numbers breakdown post! Happy New Year!
Happy new year! I love your stats!!
Looking forward to reading more of your blog this year. Happy 2017
Pingback: Keeping Track of Books and Reading | Of Books and Bicycles